October Flowers

October is a summer monthย in San Francisco, so I made a skirt to match. It has been such a cold, gray, foggy summer,ย I am really looking forward to some warm sunny days (hopefully)!

 

I used Sewaholic’s Hollyburn pattern, and I love the way it turned out! I had doubts; I’ve never really liked the way circle skirts look on me. This pattern hangs very nicely, though, probably due to the grainlines. My measurements put me into a straight size 8, but I found the waist a little snug for my liking and used a smaller SA for the back seam to accommodate.

 

The fabric is a designer pick from Fabric Mart. I think it was Ralph Lauren, but not 100% sure. It’s a lovely cotton sateen that was so much louder in person than I thought it would be! For my shy self, it only barely works as a skirt! I did use some of it last winter to line my puppy’s raincoat–itย worked beautifully for that and matches his personality perfectly!

 

Cat and moon sweater

IMG_5364

I am absolutely terrible at social sewing challenges and sew alongs, but when Erin announced the Cat Lady Sewing Challenge I knew I had to participate. I looked for cat fabric all over the internet, and settled on a Japanese print with little cats peeking through fields of flowers for a flowercat western Archer. But then I saw this double knit and decided to go ahead and get it too, just in case October flew by and I didn’t have time for a more involved project… and it’s a good thing I did because October is flying by. I may still get that Archer done, but it feels good to not have a looming deadline on something that’s supposed to be fun.

IMG_5362
These photos were taken in a southwest-facing room on a foggy morning. Even dress form photos are difficult in this house!

IMG_5365

I had visions of a cozy Cation Dolman Top, and ordered two meters of this 60″ wide cotton fabric to be absolutely sure that my sleeves would be long enough. Clearly that’s not what ended up happening – when I pulled it out of the dryer it had shrunk to half its original size! I ended up making a Renfrew instead, and made the sleeves as long as I could. I like the finished sweater, but I’m still a bit disappointed. The fabric is thick enough that I can’t wear anything over it, and with sleeves this short I’m worried about being too chilly…

For a knit tee this was also a difficult sew. The fabric has that double layer, and is so thick that the bindings are bulky and look homemade. The fabric also has a huge amount of stretch and near-zero recovery, which resulted in a seriously stretched out neckline. I added a hefty pleat center front, and I think it looks okay in the end, but ugh, this was not the breezy project I expected!

IMG_5361

I do love the print, though, and it’s very soft and cozy. I’m sure it will get wear, either like this or as a sleeveless tank under cardigans if this sleeve length proves to be too awkward. Hooray for cats!

Finished: Thurlows!

20131218-184948.jpg

Look, pants! I’ve been trying for several months now to make a good pair of pants, and these Thurlows are finally actually good enough to share!

20131218-185018.jpg
I’m not very good at reading drag lines, and I know it’s nearly impossible to tell with the contrast in these photos, but I don’t think it’s bad at all!

While pretty darn good, they still aren’t quite perfect. I want a more narrowly cut pant and am having trouble getting the fit just right in that style. I don’t want tight, just more straight-legged. That look isn’t so easy to perfect, though, especially as this corduroy grows quite a bit in wear.

20131218-192949.jpg

I cut a straight 6 this time, and think I may actually size down to a 4 for fabric with stretch. I also need to work on that leg narrowing. I used the slash and overlap method to keep the straight grain, but it wasn’t enough and just taking in the side seams did result in twisting. In one leg. What does that say about my sewing and/or cutting skills!

This is a tremendous success, though, I’m so excited!

20131218-185005.jpg