Welp, just when you thought it couldn’t get worse from me…
- 5/26 – me made tee; worn doing yoga.
- 5/27 – me made bag, mom-made scarf; worn to view The Clock at SFMOMA.
- 5/28 – me made top; worn to work.
- 5/29 – me made dress; finished just in time to wear to the party.
- 5/30 – me made dress; worn to work.
- 5/31 – me made skirt; worn to work and a coworker’s baby shower. I would never wear the sweater that wrinkled – I just pulled it off the drying rack to recreate this outfit on the floor!
This week was crazy. Work was busy, the party was intense, finishing up the dress turned out to be harder than anticipated (more on that after I get some real photos) – I’m actually still recovering from it all!
I planned on writing a bit about my thoughts on MMM and my homemade wardrobe, but I kind of just want to be done with this challenge. I had a hard time with this. I knew taking photos would be hard, but I didn’t anticipate that wearing me made items would feel like such a burden, especially since I wear something homemade about three out of four days anyway. If I thought about it I could probably come up with some insights about why this was and what I should focus on sewing, but I think I’m just going to go actually sew. There’s another Archer on my sewing table, cut out and waiting for me!
How did your Me-Made-May go? Do you anticipate participating again? Did you start feeling bitter about wearing me-mades simply because you had to?
I had an easier time with MMM this week, and then I attended a blogger meetup on Wednesday that really renewed my inspiration just in time for the last stretch. Only one more week!
- 5/18 – MM shirt; worn at home. This photo shows why I don’t get any sewing done.
- 5/19 & 5/20 – Nothing MM before nightfall. I did wear my MM pajamas, but we don’t need more pictures of that!
- 5/21 – MM skirt; worn while biking home from work up a 500 ft hill with a 35 mph headwind, which explains why I had to recreate the outfit on the floor later…
- 5/22 – MM shirt, soon to be blogged; worn to a blogger/sewist meetup! There was a Bay Area meetup on Wednesday evening to say good-bye to Amy, and it was such a fun night! It’s a real treat to talk in person to people who know about garment sewing, and all the women who attended are so kind, interesting, and creative. I came away feeling so refreshed and excited about both sewing and blogging, and I can’t wait to see everyone again!
- 5/23 – MM skirt; worn to work.
- 5/24 – MM shirt; worn fabric shopping! I went to Joann to pick up a couple Simplicity patterns during their Memorial Day sale, and I found a fancy fabric in the clearance pile that I suspect is one of those rare Joann gems. I have a cocktail party to attend for work next week, so I’m going to try to make it into a dress this weekend. Perfect timing!
Phew, what a week! It was a fun one, though, filled with vacations, the greatest mountains, biking, and new sewing projects.
- 5/10 – MM shirt and shorts; worn at my parents’ house. We just hung around petting dogs, and I finally finished the buttonholes on my Archer shirt! Now I just need to muster the enthusiasm to sew buttons on…
- 5/11 – MM tee; worn on a hike in the High Sierra. It’s my one and only me-made workout shirt again! This photo was taken in the sunny Alabama Hills while my dad did some climbing, and I just had to sacrifice a nicer photo of my face for the snowy Sierras in the background (unfortunately, Mt. Whitney is just out of view). This is my favorite place in the world.
- 5/12 – MM shorts; worn on a very hot drive up the Central Valley with no air conditioning while recovering from altitude sickness. It actually wasn’t as bad as it sounds.
- 5/13 – MM pajamas; worn sitting on the bedroom floor planning sewing projects. I felt kind of bad after getting home from work and realizing I hadn’t even thought about MMM all day and wore absolutely nothing handmade, but then I looked down and saw my beloved pajama pants. Those count too!
- 5/14 – MM dress; worn to a board meeting. The greatest dress ever makes another appearance. I felt good and put together in this outfit, which is pretty amazing considering there are some seriously stylish women on the board. I always feel like a frumpy teacher around them!
- 5/15 – MM pants; worn to work. I’ve been trying to bike to BART instead of taking the bus to save money and be healthy. It’s been fun, but it would a lot more fun if there weren’t a 500 ft. hill to get up. Anyway, this was the second wear for these pants, and I must sadly announce that this pair is officially a wadder. I am a frumpy teacher in these.
- 5/16 – ????? I think I wore a hand knit scarf over my coat, but somehow I can’t say for sure. It’s kind of like Thursday didn’t happen. Weird.
- 5/17 – MM tee; worn on a beautiful evening of sewing. Like fly zippers, I’m oddly psyched out by knits, and this top is proof to myself that I (and my machine) am actually capable of making something acceptable out of a knit fabric. This outfit photo kind of misrepresents real life – as soon as the photo was taken I pulled on one of my husband’s old sweaters and the scarf came off soon after. How do people not get annoyed by a head scarf?
Prepare yourselves for a series of uninspired outfits and awful self-portraits. I feel like this week represents the worst of Me-Made-May. I had a short but super intense work week, and I just didn’t have the time or energy to plan outfits beyond trying to fit something handmade in. Instead of being an exciting challenge MMM became an uncomfortable chore, and this post is the result.
Anyway, by the time you read this I’ll be on vacation! I’m heading down to the California desert to visit my family for two and a half days of hiking, dogs, coffee, and perhaps some sewing or knitting. I’ll at least try get the Archer buttonholes finished!
- 5/4 – MM running shirt; worn on a hike on San Bruno Mountain. I think this is swimsuit fabric, but it works really well as a running/hiking shirt. Please pardon the hat hair and squinting.
- 5/5 – MM hat and mitts, Mom-Made scarf; worn to Flora Grubb for coffee and plant viewing with a friend. I had planned to wear my new scout tee today, but the weather turned chilly and I knew I wouldn’t be taking my coat off at all, so it was a good day for handmade knits.
- 5/6 – MM pants; worn to work. I just finished these pants but haven’t blogged them. They are okay. They’re actually perfect when fresh out of the wash, but get all baggy with a little wear. Unfortunately if I take them in any more I won’t be able to step up on a bus.
- 5/7 – MM top; worn to work. This top is another recent unblogged garment. It’s also okay. Actually, it would be pretty good if it didn’t feel like I am actually wearing a plastic bag when it’s at all warm. It was entirely inappropriate for day one of a huge mailing for my department, but what can you do when it’s MMM and you need something to wear with pants?
- 5/8 – MM top; worn to work. This outfit worked way better in my head than in real life. It was comfortable for the mailing activities though! I still love my floral scout tee, but omg this fabric wrinkles like crazy.
- 5/9 – MM nothing. I did hem the jeans, though, which was actually some of the hardest sewing I’ve done in a while! Anyway, I could have worn something me made today but I don’t want to. I’ve got a seven hour drive ahead of me, and, well, basically I just don’t want to. I know this totally goes against the point of the challenge, but clothes can affect my mood and this outfit is making me happy. MMM can wait until tomorrow. I don’t know how the rules work though – should I not have taken a photo today, just left it out? I included it to document my personal experience with the challenge, which includes a conscious decision to “fail,” but I don’t want to be misleading or anything.
Happy May! I’m really loving seeing everyone’s MMM progress. So far so good for me, but I did stare at the closet a bit last night and ended up not totally happy with today’s outfit in part because of the MM limitations. This will be interesting.
- 5/1 – MM shirt and skirt; worn to the office. It was almost hot in SF this week, and I regretted the sweater choice as soon as I left the house!
- 5/2 – MM dress; worn to the office. This is the greatest dress ever, and I predict you will see it at least another four times this May.
- 5/3 – MM dress; worn to the office, and then a school site. This cardigan usually makes an appearance when it’s hot out, but I felt way too bright having the sweater paired with the dress, which is actually much darker in real life. What can I say – like Leslie, boring is my middle name.
As a side note, clearly these aren’t the greatest photos in the world. Sorry. Eric works evenings, I work days, I don’t have a good set up for timed photos, and the light in our house is strong but sometimes severe. I could at least try to make the floor boards straight to avoid vertigo, though. Here’s hoping I learn some photography tricks this month as a side effect of MMM!