I have a beloved simple black shift dress I bought years ago that absolutely can’t be worn anymore, and I recently bought 4 yards of black ponte to replace it and make a couple other garments. Part of the ponte went toward my color blocked dress, and I made a dress not at all like the dress I’m supposed to replace with the rest.
This dress is riddled with the results of poor choices, but I actually do like the finished product. I used the bodice of Simplicity 1802 and the skirt of Simplicity 1654, which is just a gored circle skirt. My biggest mistake was making this bodice with ponte – that neckline is bulky, despite careful grading and pressing! Also, and this is embarrassing, I didn’t realize this dress had a low v-back until I constructed the bodice. I don’t know how that important detail slipped by, but it foiled my plans at having a nice winter work dress with sleeves. In the end the sleeves looked frumpy anyway so I cut the armscye in a bit to make the dress sleeveless, just guessing where seamline should be. Not a good method, obviously, a well-designed garment doesn’t look like this around the arms!
It doesn’t matter, though, because it will always be worn like this with that low v in the back! So much for highlighting that seaming!
The dress is very comfortable and turned out well, despite its little issues, and I’m sure it will be worn to death even though it’s not at all like the original plan. Now I still need to make that shift dress…